Re: Building a program with the library shipped in Debian, not in orig.tar.gz

Le Wed, Sep 27, 2006 at 11:10:34AM +0100, Jon Dowland a écrit :
> At 1158313616 past the epoch, Charles Plessy wrote:
> > EMBOSS is shipped and built with its own copy of libpcre.
> > As a result, the EMBOSS Debian package contains some files
> > wich are also in the libpcre Debian package, and they
> > conflict together.
>
> Argh. Reading the -devel mesg you linked to, I take it that
> this software is using stuff which is not exposed in libpcre
> as a public function.
>
> The correct solution would be for the upstream software to
> be adjusted such that
>
> a) it did not use bits of pcre that are not exposed in the library
> b) it was feasible to link to an external pcre (perhaps by default)

Hi,

This is definitely what I will do, but EMBOSS releases a stable version
every 3-4 month, and a major version every 1-2 years, so I do not think
that it is compatible with having EMBOSS in Debian soon.

Other distributions, such as RHEL, FreeBSD, Gentoo, and Fink all manage
to distribute EMBOSS, so I wonder if the problem my inexperience rather
than EMBOSS itself...

For the packaging of EMBOSS, I started with the preliminary work of
somebody else, which was made at a time where EMBOSS was not using pcre.
It happens that when used on the latest version, it includes the headers
from pcre in the a emboss-lib package which also contains libraries
specific to EMBOSS. If I understand correctly, this "symptom" can be
cured easily (removing the pcre headers from the package), but this
leaves the possibility that the EMBOSS binaries will have a wrong
behaviour because they would use a different libpcre than the one they
have been compiled with. But maybe the binaries are statically linked...
How can I figure out?

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy