Re: Building a program with the library shipped in Debian, not in orig.tar.gz

At 1158313616 past the epoch, Charles Plessy wrote:
> EMBOSS is shipped and built with its own copy of libpcre.
> As a result, the EMBOSS Debian package contains some files
> wich are also in the libpcre Debian package, and they
> conflict together.

Argh. Reading the -devel mesg you linked to, I take it that
this software is using stuff which is not exposed in libpcre
as a public function.

The correct solution would be for the upstream software to
be adjusted such that

a) it did not use bits of pcre that are not exposed in the library
b) it was feasible to link to an external pcre (perhaps by default)

--
Jon Dowland
http://alcopop.org/