Re: Changing version numbers for upload to m.d.n [ was: Re: RFS: swish++: A Simple Web Indexing System for Humans --- C++ version ]

also sprach George Danchev <danchev@spnet.net> [2006.09.21.1608 +0200]:
> That is a sponsoree job to mention to... as a maintainer note.

Agreed. Ideally, the dpkg-dev tools should be more cautious too.

> >   1.2-3~mentors.1
> >   1.2-3~mentors.2
> >   1.2-3~mentors.3
[...]
> That would cause sponsoree synchronizing problems... to delete those
> ~mentors.* suffixes in his/her/ local copy of VCS or whatever, when the
> package got uploaded and will also favour bad habits. Killing package
> history, either as a part of official debian archive or not is also bad.

I never spoke of killing, I said fusing. It's like each ~mentors.*
changelog entry is a commit to the VCS, and the fusion created just
before upload to the final archive are the release notes.

> Really there is no need for any artificial tricks here. Sponsorees
> bump up the revision when they create a new package revision, just
> like DDs do.

I only bump revisions when I upload to the Debian archive. If
I upload to my own (public) archive, I use ~unreleased.* in much the
same way.

: :'  :    proud Debian developer, author, administrator, and user
`. `'`     http://people.debian.org/~madduck http://debiansystem.info

"it is the customary fate of new truths
 to begin as heresies and to end as superstitions.
                                                      -- thomas huxley