Re: Changing version numbers for upload to m.d.n [ was: Re: RFS: swish++: A Simple Web Indexing System for Humans --- C++ version ]

On Thursday 21 September 2006 17:21, martin f krafft wrote:
> also sprach George Danchev <danchev@spnet.net> [2006.09.21.1608 +0200]:
> > That is a sponsoree job to mention to... as a maintainer note.
>
> Agreed. Ideally, the dpkg-dev tools should be more cautious too.
>
> > >   1.2-3~mentors.1
> > >   1.2-3~mentors.2
> > >   1.2-3~mentors.3
>
> [...]
>
> > That would cause sponsoree synchronizing problems... to delete those
> > ~mentors.* suffixes in his/her/ local copy of VCS or whatever, when the
> > package got uploaded and will also favour bad habits. Killing package
> > history, either as a part of official debian archive or not is also bad.
>
> I never spoke of killing, I said fusing. It's like each ~mentors.*
> changelog entry is a commit to the VCS, and the fusion created just
> before upload to the final archive are the release notes.
>
> > Really there is no need for any artificial tricks here. Sponsorees
> > bump up the revision when they create a new package revision, just
> > like DDs do.
>
> I only bump revisions when I upload to the Debian archive. If
> I upload to my own (public) archive, I use ~unreleased.* in much the
> same way.

Ah, sorry, I failed to parse your previous message correctly. Now I tend to
agree with you, with one minor exception: DD uploading to the official debian
archive should be much like sponsoree uploading to mentors archive wrt
revision bumping.

fingerprint 1AE7 7C66 0A26 5BFF DF22 5D55 1C57 0C89 0E4B D0AB