Re: What to do with word documents ?

Hi, Charles...

On Sunday 17 September 2006 12:19, Charles Plessy wrote:
> I am working on a package which contains MSWord documents. I was
> wondering the following questions:
>
> 1) How can I know if they are redistributable at all, for instance if
> they contain non-free fonts? In the worst case, do I have to repackage
> the sources as well?
>
> 2) There are simple text versions of those documents, but they have many
> pages, so I was considering to convert them to PDF or HTML. However, the
> converter which gives the nicest results in my hands is openoffice. Is
> ther a way to run it from the command line? Would it be considered as
> buildd sabotage ?
>
> 3) In general, is there a policy about MSWord documents?

I don't think there is a clear policy. But since the format is proprietary
I wouldn't put it into a Debian package anyway. I would suggest you remove
that documents from the source package, beg the upstream to release the
documentation in a proper format and just ship the text files until then.
Perhaps the upstream didn't want to learn DocBook/XML, LaTeX or whatever.
But Word is definitely a bad choice - especially for something that will
be considered a "free" Debian package.

Cheers
 Christoph
--