Re: detecting cutomized conffiles and debconf

Hi Mattia,

Op ma, 11-09-2006 te 21:01 +0200, schreef Mattia Dongili:
> Hello Mentors,
>
> to make the long story short this is an "how to deal existing conffiles
> and a new set of debconf questions to setup the package?" question.
>
> Now, the package is cpufrequtils and what I'd like to achieve is
> providing some nice debconf templates to configure
> /etc/default/cpufrequtils which will allow the user to set a boottime
> policy.
> At the same time I'd like to avoid annoying users who already customized
> their configuration (I assume they don't need to be questioned again)
> and obviously avoid overwriting their customized file.
>
> Which is the way to go?
> AFAICT debsums could help or maybe should I not make
> /etc/default/cpufrequtils a conffile and manually manage it?
If you change the contents of a configuration file in your maintainer
scripts, for instance by using debconf, they should not be conffiles but
regular configuration files. See Debian policy on this.

You should stop shipping the file as conffile, read in the configfile in
your preinst, save the values for use with debconf, and then make the
file a configuration file.

Greetings Arjan