detecting cutomized conffiles and debconf

Hello Mentors,

to make the long story short this is an "how to deal existing conffiles
and a new set of debconf questions to setup the package?" question.

Now, the package is cpufrequtils and what I'd like to achieve is
providing some nice debconf templates to configure
/etc/default/cpufrequtils which will allow the user to set a boottime
policy.
At the same time I'd like to avoid annoying users who already customized
their configuration (I assume they don't need to be questioned again)
and obviously avoid overwriting their customized file.

Which is the way to go?
AFAICT debsums could help or maybe should I not make
/etc/default/cpufrequtils a conffile and manually manage it?

Thanks in advance
--
mattia
:wq!