Re: RFS: urw-garamond -- scalable PostScript font from the Garamond family

Rogério Brito wrote:
> Hi, Florent.
>
> On Jul 31 2006, Florent Rougon wrote:
>> Rogério Brito <rbrito@ime.usp.br> wrote:
>>> I would love to see your package uploaded to Debian and I have seen
>>> that the latest version you published is both lintian and linda
>>> clean.
>> This is all very nice, but last time I checked, it was undistributable
>> (legally).
>
> I just read the copyright file and I thought that it would be
> distributable.  Are there any conflicts in what is written there?
>
> Please educate me regarding this. Wouldn't it be distributable even in
> non-free?

After only a v.quick look, Aladdin is the problem:

Non-Free Software Licenses

The following licenses do not qualify as free software licenses. A
non-free license is automatically incompatible with the GNU GPL.

Aladdin Free Public License

    Despite its name, this is not a free software license because it
does not allow charging for distribution, and largely prohibits simply
packaging software licensed under it with anything for which a charge is
made.
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html

It could be OK in non-free but is that what you really want? Debian
cannot include Aladdin licensed software on any physical media without
incurring all costs in the distribution of that media. Aladdin is
practically "internet-only". It's quite a bizarre licence.

--

Neil Williams