Automatic installation of packages

I have been reading the literature on debian packages, and I am trying
to figure out how to tell the package installer to automatically use
"apt-get install" to satisfy a dependency at installation time - is
there any way to do that?  As far as I can see, the only effect of the
"Depends" section in the control file is to cause the installer to check
to see if the dependency is satisfied, and if not, abort the
installation and tell the user of the unsatisfied dependency.

Am I missing something obvious? It seems that this should be possible...

Steve Hill