Re: When to split a package?

Kapil Hari Paranjape <kapil@imsc.res.in> wrote:

> On Mon, 03 Jul 2006, Luis Rodrigo Gallardo Cruz wrote:
>> Creating more binary packages certainly has some sort of cost (The
>> size of the packages file, at least). How do I estimate those costs?
>> How do I estimate the savings gained from splitting?
>> (number of archs) * (size of _all.deb)?

It might be interesting what lintian thinks:

$ find /sid/usr/share/lintian/ -type f | xargs grep -ls big-usr-share

And therein:

# Threshold in kB of /usr/share to trigger this warning
# Consider that the changelog alone can be quite big, and cannot be moved away

> On Mon, 03 Jul 2006, Luis Rodrigo Gallardo Cruz wrote:
>> /usr/share/man ?
>> /usr/share/info ?
>> /usr/share/locale/*/*.mo ?
> I think these should go with binary-arch since the documentation for
> a binary should accompany the binary. Same applies to localisation
> strings which are presumably needed by the binary.

If the arch-dependent package Depends on the arch-all package, I think
it's okay to put everything in the arch-all package.  It's not a must,
though.  If there's a lot of "data", it might be cleaner to just move
the "data" to the arch-all package and leave the documentation and
localization in the arch-dependent package.

Regards, Frank
Frank Küster
Debian Developer (teTeX)