Re: best practices for dependencies version in new package

Justin Pryzby <justinpryzby@users.sourceforge.net> writes:

> On Sun, Jul 02, 2006 at 08:56:57PM -0300, marciotex@gmail.com wrote:
>>
>> Hi.
>>
>> Scenario. Package is new (no version uploaded yet). Dependences is
>> determined: dpkg-depcheck and pbuilder was used. But these tools not
>> help task determine dependences version. So, what best practices for
>> dependencies version in this package?
>>
>> What I did already: look bug reports for Dependencies.
>
> Shared library runtime dependencies will happen automatically with the
> shlibs system; when compiling against a shared library, its
> /var/lib/dpkg/info/$p.shlibs file lists the packages and versions
> providing compatible interface.

Ok. Shared libs are ok.

> For other packages, you'll likely just keep track of interfaces
> provided only by new versions.  You might consult with your upstream,
> if you're looking for version-specific stuff they use.  Often it is
> just the maintscripts and rules that you'll be familiar with.  For
> example, sed -i is available only in version 4, so sed (>>4.0).
>
> What are you build-deps, and do you have any deps other than shared
> libs?

Yes. See it:

Build-Depends: debhelper (>= 4.0.0), autotools-dev, libraw1394-8-dev (>=
1.2.1), dpatch, cdbs, pkg-config

> Justin

Thanks,

Regards,
- --
Marcio Roberto Teixeira
I use newsreader (nntp). Don't send messages directly to my email, please
 (even replies or follow-ups); keep all threads here and only here.

keys: hkp://wwwkeys.pgp.net
         http://marciotex.googlepages.com/keypub_8709626B.asc

home page (building): http://marciotex.googlepages.com

"tchê" Debian/GNULinux user