Re: best practices for dependencies version in new package

Neil Williams <linux@codehelp.co.uk> writes:

> marciotex@gmail.com wrote:
>> Scenario. Package is new (no version uploaded yet). Dependences is
>> determined: dpkg-depcheck and pbuilder was used. But these tools not
>> help task determine dependences version. So, what best practices for
>> dependencies version in this package?
>
> Build-Depends should be determined by the SOURCE. If the build requires
> certain -dev packages, list those in Build-Depends. You've done this for
> pbuilder to operate.

Yes.

> Now check the configure.ac | configure.in. If configure does not check
> for a specific version of the dependency, there's no need for
> Build-Depends to specify a version. e.g. with pkg-config:
> LIBXML2_REQUIRED=2.5.10
> PKG_CHECK_MODULES(LIBXML2, libxml-2.0 >= $LIBXML2_REQUIRED)
> means that Build-Depends must specify:
> libxml2-dev (>= 2.5.10),
>
> Whereas:
> AM_PATH_GLIB_2_0("2.0.0", , ,gobject)
>
> AC_PATH_PROG(PKG_CONFIG,pkg-config)
> if test "x$PKG_CONFIG" != x; then
>         GLIB_LIBS=`$PKG_CONFIG --libs glib-2.0`
>         GLIB_CFLAGS=`$PKG_CONFIG --cflags glib-2.0`
>         GOBJECT_LIBS=`$PKG_CONFIG --libs gobject-2.0`
>         GMODULE_LIBS=`$PKG_CONFIG --libs gmodule-2.0`
> fi
>
> leads to:
>  libglib2.0-dev,
> with no version because the minimum version is the first release of that
> particular package.

Ok. I did understand. configure.ac declarated depends already satisfied
by Build-Depends.

> When the binary package is built, the dependencies will take the
> versions of the current unstable version.
>
> --
>
> Neil Williams
> =============
> http://www.data-freedom.org/
> http://www.nosoftwarepatents.com/
> http://www.linux.codehelp.co.uk/

Thanks, Neil.

Regards,
- --
Marcio Roberto Teixeira
I use newsreader (nntp). Don't send messages directly to my email, please
 (even replies or follow-ups); keep all threads here and only here.

keys: hkp://wwwkeys.pgp.net
         http://marciotex.googlepages.com/keypub_8709626B.asc

home page (building): http://marciotex.googlepages.com

"tchê" Debian/GNULinux user