Re: Build-depend on source of a debian package

On Sat, Jun 24, 2006 at 12:05:20PM +0200, Tim Dijkstra wrote:
> The package I'm making is ??swsusp, the package it's using is vbetool.
> It links in some routines from vbetool to post videocards at resume
> time. It does of course do other stuff as well.
> I don't think it makes sense to make both package build from the same
> source-package, they are both developed by somebody else.

I agree.  However, I would expect that it is possible to export those routines
from vbetool in a way that they can be used by swsusp?  What I mean is instead
of linking the routines in, calling them in vbetool through some (possibly as
yet nonexisting) commandline interface.  That way you would need a normal
Depends: instead of a Build-Depends on the source (which is not technically
possible).

Duplicating source code in the archive is almost always a bad thing, because
they will go out of sync at some point.

Thanks,
Bas