Build-depend on source of a debian package

Hi all,
[ please CC, I'm not in this list ]

A debian package I'm making has as part of its source a (almost)
verbatim copy of the source of a package that is already in debian. It
works perfectly like this and it's only 916K, but it feels a bit of a
waste to include it in the source package.
I can't however build-depend on the source of another debian package,
can I? Should I ask for the other package to make an -dev package
containing the source? This also doesn't feel right, because it's not a
proper library... can make it into one of course...

Comments?

grts Tim