Re: RFC/RFS: bfilter, aspell-hr, myspell-hr

Kari Pahula wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 02, 2006 at 05:05:26PM +0200, Vedran Fura? wrote:
>> Done. Please check the new release.
>
> Ok.  Looks quite good, already.  Still, a few things about the Debian
> side of the packaging (which I could well have spotted already last
> time I checked, sorry).  /usr/bin/bfilter-gui is independent of
> /usr/bin/bfilter, but the bfilter-gui package depends on bfilter
> itself.  The config files are in bfilter package and those are the
> only thing that bfilter-gui needs from there.
>
> I would like to see the /etc/bfilter files put into a bfilter-common
> package and have bfilter and bfilter-gui depend on bfilter-common.

Yes, you are right, I missed that. /etc files moved to bfilter-common.

> Currently, running bfilter-gui fails since bfilter is running already
> and using port 8080.  It would be possible to kill bfilter first
> before running bfilter-gui, but the preferred way in Debian is to not
> install the service in the first place.

I added a conflict between them. Is that OK?
Note that it is possible to change the default port number.

> Also, don't run bfilter as root!  It's fully capable of running as

Oops. Fixed.

> /usr/sbin/bfilter would be more proper place to install bfilter to, too.

Done.

But are you sure about this? /usr/sbin binaries should be used only by
sysadmin (http://www.debian.org/doc/packaging-manuals/fhs/fhs-4.6.html)
and this is not the case with bfilter since an ordinary user can start and
use bfilter.

> stopping the daemon.  That's good, but the stopping part of the
> restart target should use that too.  And I see that you're telling
> start-stop-daemon to use a pid file but don't tell bfilter to create
> one.  Here's what I'd put in /etc/default/bfilter:
> DAEMON_OPTS="-u nobody -g nogroup -p /var/run/bfilter.pid"

Fixed.

> Ideally, bfilter-gui should read config files from ~/.bfilter or some
> other appropriate user-editable place...  But that's really a wishlist
> item for the upstream.

But bfilter-gui does read config from ~/.bfilter. Try to edit the config
via GUI interface as regular user. It's written to ~/.bfilter. Files in
/etc are necessary because they, as I understand, serve as template for
~/.bfilter files. See: http://bfilter.sourceforge.net/doc/url-patterns.php

Uploaded at mentors as usual.

Regards,

Vedran Furač