Re: RFC/RFS: bfilter, aspell-hr, myspell-hr

On Fri, Jun 02, 2006 at 05:05:26PM +0200, Vedran Fura? wrote:
> Done. Please check the new release.

Ok.  Looks quite good, already.  Still, a few things about the Debian
side of the packaging (which I could well have spotted already last
time I checked, sorry).  /usr/bin/bfilter-gui is independent of
/usr/bin/bfilter, but the bfilter-gui package depends on bfilter
itself.  The config files are in bfilter package and those are the
only thing that bfilter-gui needs from there.

I would like to see the /etc/bfilter files put into a bfilter-common
package and have bfilter and bfilter-gui depend on bfilter-common.

Currently, running bfilter-gui fails since bfilter is running already
and using port 8080.  It would be possible to kill bfilter first
before running bfilter-gui, but the preferred way in Debian is to not
install the service in the first place.

Also, don't run bfilter as root!  It's fully capable of running as
user nobody, group nogroup.  /usr/sbin/bfilter would be more proper
place to install bfilter to, too.  I see that you put --oknodo when
stopping the daemon.  That's good, but the stopping part of the
restart target should use that too.  And I see that you're telling
start-stop-daemon to use a pid file but don't tell bfilter to create
one.  Here's what I'd put in /etc/default/bfilter:
DAEMON_OPTS="-u nobody -g nogroup -p /var/run/bfilter.pid"

Unless I still come up with something else, bfilter should be in a
good enough shape after addressing these.

Ideally, bfilter-gui should read config files from ~/.bfilter or some
other appropriate user-editable place...  But that's really a wishlist
item for the upstream.