Re: Question about linux-wlan-ng-firmware in main

On Tue, May 30, 2006 at 03:26:56PM +0200, Frank K?ster wrote:
> No, it wasn't.  As long as I can remember, packages which contained a
> small part of contrib material, which was not crucial for the function
> of the package as a whole, can go to main.  Look at the policy:
>
> ,---- 2.2.1 The main category
> | Every package in main must comply with the DFSG (Debian Free Software
> | Guidelines).
> |
> | In addition, the packages in main
> |
> |     * must not require a package outside of main for compilation or
> |       execution (thus, the package must not declare a "Depends",
> |       "Recommends", or "Build-Depends" relationship on a non-main
> |       package),
> `----
>
> This explicitly does *not* mention "Suggests".

Packages containing some contrib material, without which the package functions
well, can indeed go in main AFAIK.  However, if I understand the situation
correctly, this package is completely useless without the non-free firmware if
you happen to have a device which needs it.  The fact that the package is
useful for other people is quite irrelevant: the download script is useless
for them anyway, irrespective of their attitude towards non-free software.

To me it does indeed sound like this is a good example of what contrib is
meant for.  That is, I think the whole package should be in contrib if it
contains this script, because it provides typical contrib-functionality for a
group of people (and no significant other functionality, to that group).  I
can see that having the whole package in contrib is not desirable, though.  It
can only be avoided by splitting off the script (or removing it altogether,
but that's not very nice to our users).

Then again, this sounds pretty much like a thing for debian-legal. :-)

Thanks,
Bas Wijnen