Re: Question about linux-wlan-ng-firmware in main

Stephen Gran <sgran@debian.org> wrote:

>> In fact, I go even further: I wish that the package use a low-priority
>> debconf question (defaulting to "do not download") to let the user execute
>> the wrapper at installation time. Of course, the question should warn the
>> user that he's about to download non-free stuff.
>
> Can't you just ship those ten lines in contrib, and the rest in main?
> This may be archive bloat, but surely it's arch:all, so that minimizes
> the bloat at least.  I am not over fond of the freer-than-free holy
> wars, but it does seem like this script is exactly the sort of thing
> that contrib was designed for.

No, it wasn't.  As long as I can remember, packages which contained a
small part of contrib material, which was not crucial for the function
of the package as a whole, can go to main.  Look at the policy:

,---- 2.2.1 The main category
| Every package in main must comply with the DFSG (Debian Free Software
| Guidelines).
|
| In addition, the packages in main
|
|     * must not require a package outside of main for compilation or
|       execution (thus, the package must not declare a "Depends",
|       "Recommends", or "Build-Depends" relationship on a non-main
|       package),
`----

This explicitly does *not* mention "Suggests".

Regards, Frank
--
Frank Küster
Debian Developer (teTeX)