Re: [gmail] Re: Suggestion: Time limit for NM process

Marc Leeman <marc.leeman@gmail.com> writes:

> At some point I needed a number of perl packages that did syntax
> highlighting and that were not available in Debian (yet). Since I don't
> want to install anything on my machine that is not packages, I packaged
> the Perl packages for Debian and used them.

> I asked several times (IIRC) for a sponsor (since my sponsor for other
> packages didn't have much Perl expertise); but since it was a developer
> package, I assume the interest was pretty low.

> When I got another assignment, I didn't need those packages anymore and
> combined with the little interest, I dropped them (the packages that did
> make it in Debian, I continue to maintain obviously). There are a number
> of other examples too.

Maintenance groups can help a lot with this.  For example, these days, I
would recommend that you join the pkg-perl group and maintain such
packages there, and then ask one of the DD members to sponsor an upload
when ready.  Currently eloy is doing most of the sponsoring work, but
there are several others involved (myself included) who could and would do
more sponsored uploads if things started piling up.