Re: [gmail] Re: Suggestion: Time limit for NM process

> > As long as my sponsors don't mind uploading the packages and I can use
> > aloith to cooperate with others, I don't feel the need anymore to
> > continue and try again for full DD; though I'm sure I would have
> > contributed more (a number of packages never found a sponsor, so I
> > dropped them).
>
> Sorry, but this doesn't sound very efficient to me.

No, it is not :(

The problem is that, next to the packaging effort, the learning curve,
one moves on with your live and work.

One example:

At some point I needed a number of perl packages that did syntax
highlighting and that were not available in Debian (yet). Since I don't
want to install anything on my machine that is not packages, I packaged
the Perl packages for Debian and used them.

I asked several times (IIRC) for a sponsor (since my sponsor for other
packages didn't have much Perl expertise); but since it was a developer
package, I assume the interest was pretty low.

When I got another assignment, I didn't need those packages anymore and
combined with the little interest, I dropped them (the packages that did
make it in Debian, I continue to maintain obviously). There are a number
of other examples too.

My experience is that, if your work is not intended for end-users,
you'll have a hard job finding sponsors, and continuing the DD process.

--
  greetz, marc
I feel like I had a spiritual enema.