Re: RFC/RFS: griffith -- A film collection manager

Hi Vasco,

My 1 cent:

> It is lintian clean but linda returns warnings about having
> files in /usr/lib directory. Since they're python files,
> I see no problem with having them in there, am I right?
From
http://www.debian.org/doc/packaging-manuals/python-policy/ch-programs.html
"
A program using /usr/bin/python as interpreter can come up with private
python modules. These modules should be installed in
/usr/lib/site-python/module, /usr/lib/pythonX.Y/site-packages/module
(where pythonX.Y is the current python version).

If the private modules would pollute the name space in sys.path, the
modules should be installed in /usr/lib/package (for architecture any)
or /usr/share/package (for architecture all). In this case, the
directory should be added to sys.path at the program startup.
"

Since python-compiled modules supposed to be architecture independent...
and indeed .pyc files are platform independent
http://lists.debian.org/debian-python/2003/11/msg00037.html that is why
I believe the most of python driven packages actually install
under /usr/share/package.

Please correct me if I am wrong - since then I would need to fix my
packages as well ;-)

--
                                  .-.
                   Linux User    ^^-^^    [175555]