Re: RFS: rkward

Hi,

> I am not yet a DD so I can't sponsor your package sorry.
> But maybe I can give you some advice for improving the packaging.

Thanks very much for your advice. I'll work on those areas. A few questions:

> 1. Well you provide a native debian package as I can see.
>  I don't think that your package should be a native one, although you are
> the upstream. You package can be used in various distributions (of course
> also in Debian) so it would be a non-native package.
> I think you are providing a Debian directory in the upstream version.
> Think about that point and maybe delete the debian-dir for the official
> version and during the debianization you can create the debian-dir.
> Then please make sure that the diff (which will be created during the build
> of a non-native package) includes only the debian-dir.

I'll have to take your word on this, as I don't really understand the
implicatons. Could somebody point me to some relevant FAQ/docs on this?
Having this dir in the main distribution seemed to be the most convenient
approach to building the package, and in fact, some users have used this to
build their own packages for KUbuntu, or debian testing.

> 5. The changelog entry should close the ITP report.

What would be the correct way to do this? As far as I understand, a "Closes"
should be attached to a change-entry. However the change in question would
really be that somebody else uploads it. Is there a recommended way to do
this?

> 8. There is a rpath (as lintian told me). See the lintian warning:
> W: rkward:
> binary-or-shlib-defines-rpath ./usr/bin/rkward
> /usr/lib:/usr/share/qt3/lib:/usr/X11R6/lib:/usr/lib/R/lib/
>
> I think you can directly fix it (upstream) ;)

Yeah, but I'll have to figure out how to do this, first. I hate those bloody
makefiles...

Well, I suppose some of those issues mean I will have to wait until I release
a new upstream version. I'll be back after that.

Thanks for your advice!
Thomas