Re: RFS: kannasaver -- Japanese character screensaver

On Saturday 05 November 2005 07:25 am, Florian Ernst wrote:
> Bah, "Kanna" led me to believe it'd display both kana and kanji,
> thinking it was the usual KDE'ification of the name "canna".

Nope, it just seems to be a clever mispelling. Maybe the author will implement
kanji support in the future? His app name is futureproof :- D

> Which also leads me to a first upstream bug: the second part of yôon,
> i.e. the characters from the yagyô, are displayed pretty big. I guess
> they should better be displayed smaller to avoid misreadings, e.g.
> "hiyo" instead of "hyo". However, the program only intends to show
> single syllables, so this might not be that bad...

That mostly went straight over my head, since I'm still working on the base
hiragana. Do you mean that the second character in the compound characters is
too big? If I'm understanding correctly, I'll let upstream know for his next
release, because I don't think that's the right behavior.

> > The doc template is modified in the diff.gz to use the GPL instead of the
> > GFDL template; I have permission from the author to do this (so he
> > doesn't have to make an immediate release just to fix this) and can
> > forward the mail if
>
> If you have permission from the author you should just stick this mail
> in debian/copyright. Possibly the author could mention this on the
> project homepage.

With another package that had a similar problem I forwarded the mail to my
sponsor, and he sent it to a private list for storage and recording. I'll add
the relevant part of the email to the copyright file this time as well; do
you want me to forward the email to you as well?

> Some more notes:
> The KDE documentation should be put in /usr/share/doc/kde/HTML...
> instead of /usr/share/doc/HTML..., and the index.docbook shouldn't be
> gzipped (the latter was done autmatically by dh_compress, you can
> avoid this by using the -X option to it).

I wondered about the location, but I originally thought that it was
automatically compressed by the buildsystem, not by debhelper. Both issues
fixed.

> You have repackaged the original source, greatly cleaning up in the
> process (CVS dirs / autom4te.cache). However, there is no mention of
> this change anywhere. Better put a note in debian/copyright on how
> your orig.tar.gz differs from the real original file.

Now noted in copyright and changelog.

> You might want to add a pointer to the upstream homepage to the long
> description in debian/control, as considered best practice in
> ch. 6.2.4 "Upstream home page" of the Debian Developer's Reference.

Upstream doesn't really have a homepage, just an entry on KDE-Apps, so I left
this out. Should the KDE-Apps entry be considered a homepage?

> Your CFLAGS setting in debian/rules is useless as it doesn't get
> picked up by the program, which in turn will be compiled without
> debugging information.

CXXFLAGS added.

> Careless usage of "make clean", <http://bugs.debian.org/325372>.

Fixed using one of the examples from the IRC conversation in the report.

> Apart from that it looks pretty fine, so I'm interested in sponsoring
> this once you have dealt with the issues mentioned above. However, if
> you accept me as a sponsor please add me as an Uploader in
> debian/control; this isn't a necessary procedure, it just eases
> tracking this package for the lazy bum I am...

Done.

I've uploaded a new version to my archive with no revision bump. Thanks!

--
Ryan Schultz
"vi users are mammals, and they flip out and kill people *all the time.*"