Re: RFS: kannasaver -- Japanese character screensaver

Hello *,

On Fri, Nov 04, 2005 at 07:41:53PM -0500, Ryan Schultz wrote:
>  Kannasaver is a screensaver that displays random characters from the
>  Japanese syllabary, ideally causing them to stick in your memory after

Bah, "Kanna" led me to believe it'd display both kana and kanji,
thinking it was the usual KDE'ification of the name "canna".

Which also leads me to a first upstream bug: the second part of yôon,
i.e. the characters from the yagyô, are displayed pretty big. I guess
they should better be displayed smaller to avoid misreadings, e.g.
"hiyo" instead of "hyo". However, the program only intends to show
single syllables, so this might not be that bad...

>  you've viewed them a number of times. Kannasaver can be configured to
>  display basic, extended, and compound characters from hiragana, katakana,
>  or both simultaneously.

So, why isn't it called kanaserver, instead? Just wondering, and
certainly not your problem...
(Yes, I know, I also should have read more carefully :))

> The doc template is modified in the diff.gz to use the GPL instead of the GFDL
> template; I have permission from the author to do this (so he doesn't have to
> make an immediate release just to fix this) and can forward the mail if

If you have permission from the author you should just stick this mail
in debian/copyright. Possibly the author could mention this on the
project homepage.

> necessary. I also include a manpage; I don't know if this is necessary for
> screensaver-type apps, but it made lintian happy :- )

Hehe, making lintian / linda happy is one important step, but
sometimes not enough... :)

Some more notes:

There is a (K)Ubuntu package for this, but seeing that it was just
checkinstall'd I don't think there is much need for coordination...

The KDE documentation should be put in /usr/share/doc/kde/HTML...
instead of /usr/share/doc/HTML..., and the index.docbook shouldn't be
gzipped (the latter was done autmatically by dh_compress, you can
avoid this by using the -X option to it).

You have repackaged the original source, greatly cleaning up in the
process (CVS dirs / autom4te.cache). However, there is no mention of
this change anywhere. Better put a note in debian/copyright on how
your orig.tar.gz differs from the real original file.

You might want to add a pointer to the upstream homepage to the long
description in debian/control, as considered best practice in
ch. 6.2.4 "Upstream home page" of the Debian Developer's Reference.

Your CFLAGS setting in debian/rules is useless as it doesn't get
picked up by the program, which in turn will be compiled without
debugging information.

Careless usage of "make clean", <http://bugs.debian.org/325372>.

Apart from that it looks pretty fine, so I'm interested in sponsoring
this once you have dealt with the issues mentioned above. However, if
you accept me as a sponsor please add me as an Uploader in
debian/control; this isn't a necessary procedure, it just eases
tracking this package for the lazy bum I am...

Cheers,
Flo