Re: upgrades skipping stable releases

On Sun, Oct 16, 2005 at 05:00:01PM +0200, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 15, 2005 at 09:48:26PM +0200, Christoph Berg wrote:
> > You can remove the transition package now; upgrades skipping a stable
> > release are not supported.

> Interesting, is this policy or just common practice in past releases?

It's the release team's policy for sarge and etch.  There's not enough
testing to go around, and the release cycle is too long, to make skipping a
stable release a realistic option.  We actually know already that upgrades
from woody to etch are not possible, because of a circular
conflict/pre-depends in some essential packages that requires upgrading to
sarge before upgrading to etch.