Re: debian and astronomy (was: Re: first steps (pcfitsio, pyraf and iraf))

On Mon, 10 Oct 2005 justinpryzby@users.sourceforge.net wrote:

> Lastly, Florian Ernst kindly sponsored my sextractor package last
> week; it is now waiting in the new queue.  ds9 is already available in
> Debian (though it won't be for much longer if upstream doesn't provide
> unobfuscated source in their v4 release).

Wow.  Not just poorly written code, actively obfuscated code?  Why on
earth would they have ever done that?  Have you got an example of such
code?  I did once look at the code to be able to see whether I could add a
legend to the .ps output, but I couldn't understand any of that section of
it.  But I did successfully take the colormap code from ds9, and use it
myself.

--
TimC
  -- Robert R. Coveyou, Oak Ridge National Laboratory.