Re: RFS: ktorrent - KDE Bittorrent client

On Thu, September 22, 2005 10:38 am, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> Damyan Ivanov wrote:
>
>> mrjoel@lixil.net wrote:
>>> question I do have is in regards to debian versioning, for example
>>> with this package it is an RC, when the final 1.1 is released won't it
>>> be a lower version number ("rc1" is greater than null)? Maybe I'm just
>>>  misunderstanding, but if so, what is the "standard" Debian way to
>>> handle rc versions (CVS uses "+CVSdate, can I use the same thing)?
>>
>> There's no standard. Use your imagination :-)
>>

>> 1.0+1.1rc1 for example seems ok to me.
>> 1.0+cvsYYYYMMDD may be useful too.
>>

>> The point is that you're looking for a version string that is "greater
>> than" 1.0 and "less than" 1.1.
>
> A new rule was added to dpkg version comparisons a while ago to
> support this case.  A "~" compares as less than anything else, even the
> empty string, so "1.1~rc1" is greater than "1.0" and less than "1.1".
> This rule is present in the sarge version of dpkg so is OK to
> use in later distributions, so far as I know.
>
> Ben.

Perfect, that is inded what I was after. I had remembered something being
less of a hack than +, but couldn't remember what. From this thread
(http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2005/06/msg01482.html) I presume
that support has also been added into DAK, apt and everything needed for
auto-building?

Joel Johnson