Re: RFS: ktorrent - KDE Bittorrent client

Damyan Ivanov wrote:
> mrjoel@lixil.net wrote:
> > question I do have is in regards to debian versioning, for example with
> > this package it is an RC, when the final 1.1 is released won't it be a
> > lower version number ("rc1" is greater than null)? Maybe I'm just
> > misunderstanding, but if so, what is the "standard" Debian way to handle
> > rc versions (CVS uses "+CVSdate, can I use the same thing)?
>
> There's no standard. Use your imagination :-)
>
> 1.0+1.1rc1 for example seems ok to me.
> 1.0+cvsYYYYMMDD may be useful too.
>
> The point is that you're looking for a version string that is "greater
> than" 1.0 and "less than" 1.1.

A new rule was added to dpkg version comparisons a while ago to
support this case.  A "~" compares as less than anything else, even
the empty string, so "1.1~rc1" is greater than "1.0" and less than
"1.1".  This rule is present in the sarge version of dpkg so is OK to
use in later distributions, so far as I know.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
Always try to do things in chronological order;