Re: Change version number only for a different build.

On Mon, 05 Sep 2005 18:46:35 +0200
Daniel Leidert <daniel.leidert.spam@gmx.net> wrote:

> Am Montag, den 05.09.2005, 15:06 +0200 schrieb Antonio Ospite:
> >
> > Since my packages are "unofficial" I want them to be built for
> > sarge and sid (i use pbuilder for that), but in the same upstream
> > version; is that allowed by the policy.
>
> No problem. Your packages are unofficial. Builds for Sarge are only
> backports (see backports.org). I do the same for my packages.

Thanks for the hint but, doesn't backporting modify the original
source package, does it? I wished to avoid that.

> > What i have to do?
>
> Normally it is the best idea to show that an package is unofficial. A
> lot of people therefor add their initials to the Debian revision. I
> suggest the following (xy are the initials):
>
> Sid   0xy1
> Sarge 0xy0(.)sarge(.)1

For unofficial i mean also packages that are not in debian at all, and
i think that, althoug the process to add them to the unstable
distribution is the way to go, providing the package "unofficially" to
stable users is a good idea. And without an _explicit_ backport, i mean.

> > And how do i have to report the different builds in the changelog?
> > Is it an acceptable practise to add a changelog entry only for a
> > build on a different distribution?
>
> Have a look at the backports.org packages. I think, this is a good
> solution.
>
> Regards, Daniel

Well, i see that with automatic repository there is (obviously) no way
to have different binaries package thet share _exactly_the_same_ source
package, so I think I'll follow the backport.org example.

Many thanks,
   Antonio.

--
Public key: http://studenti.unina.it/~ospite/aopubkey.asc