Re: linker and transition questions...

On Sun, Sep 04, 2005 at 03:37:52PM +0200, Romain Beauxis wrote:
> Le Dimanche 4 Septembre 2005 06:52, Steve Langasek a écrit :
> > I've looked over the package update, and for the most part it looks ok,
> > but the new Portuguese translation that upstream included is quite buggy
> > and I'm not willing to upload a package that introduces such bugs.

> Hum...
> Ok, thks for pointing me out those bugs.

> In fact, I don't speak a word in portugues, so I cannot handle it myself.
> But I've got friend who speaks protugues perfectly, so I'll ask him to correct
> it soon.

> Then, I feel it should nevertheless be uploaded soon, as those bugs are:
> -- not important during normal use, and will not prevent from using the soft,
> even in pt_BR
> -- related to an upstream file, so **should** be corrected there
> -- Can be filled as the packages is uploaded, and be corected later

Sorry, translation bugs are a sticking point for me.  I believe that a
bad translation is worse than no translation, and this is definitely a
bad translation -- one that includes errors that could significantly
impact the usability of the interface.  You may be able to find someone
else willing to sponsor the package as-is, but I am not.

> On the other hand, waiting for a corection will by the mean time delay the
> total transition for KDE and libstdc++.

Yes, getting the RC bug fixed is important, but that has nothing to do
with uploading a new upstream version of the package!  The entire
changelog for kshutdown 0.6.1 is:

2005/06/25  0.6.1
- NEW: Portuguese Brazilian language translation
- FIXED: Possible "make install" error (thanks to Gregorio)

So, er, the only substantive change between the last version, and this
version, is that a buggy translation has been added.  Yes, upstream bugs
should be addressed upstream; but knowing that this bug is there in the
new version, I don't see any reason why I would want to sponsor a
0.6.1-1 upload instead of an 0.6.0-3 upload (or, indeed, NMUing with an
0.6.0-2.1 upload).