Re: linker and transition questions...

On Sun, Sep 04, 2005 at 12:13:47AM +0200, Romain Beauxis wrote:
> Le Dimanche 4 Septembre 2005 00:12, Romain Beauxis a écrit :
> > Le Samedi 3 Septembre 2005 22:56, Steve Langasek a écrit :
> > > What does objdump -p $path/usr/bin/kshutdown | grep NEEDED show?
> >
> > -> I only see libstdc++.so.6 there...

> But not there:
> 0:12 toots@duppy /tmp% ldd ./usr/bin/kshutdown | grep ++
>         libstdc++.so.6 => /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6 (0xb6c42000)
>         libstdc++.so.5 => /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.5 (0xb6a1f000)

> Strange isn't it?

No, not strange at all; that's what I expected to see.  Can you send the
full output of ldd ./usr/bin/kshutdown?  We need to know what library on
your system is still pulling in libstdc++5 to know whether or not it's a
problem.  The output of objdump -p *does* indicate that the binary is
directly linked only against the correct version of libstdc++, so the
possible explanations for the libstdc++.so.5 reference are:

- you have an old version of a package on your system that exports a C++
  ABI, and therefore you need to upgrade it and rebuild;
- you have a package on your system that is implemented in C++ but
  exports only a C ABI, in which case you can upload as-is;
- your package build-depends on a C++ lib that hasn't undergone the
  transition, in which case you need to wait until it transitions before
  rebuilding and uploading; or
- your build environment has fully transitioned to g++-4.0, but the
  environment where you're running linda is not, in which case you can
  upload as-is as soon as you're able to verify this.