Re: pkg-config

On Sun, Sep 04, 2005 at 01:04:40AM +1000, skaller wrote:
> On Sat, 2005-09-03 at 04:19 -0700, Steve Langasek wrote:

> > At the present time and given the current state of the software I
> > believe it is not in Debian's best interest that you ship a .pc file *at
> > all* upstream

> Interesting. Hmm. Can you explain in a bit more detail
> why you think this is?

pkg-config and libtool are both tools designed to facilitate portability
to platforms which have inferior linkers, and in the process they
duplicate information already provided by ELF libraries on GNU/Linux in
a manner that makes dependency changes more rigid and fragile.

http://people.debian.org/~vorlon/dependency-hell/

> It does seem 'contrary' in some way to Debian's policy
> of things going in particular places .. yet people don't
> always actually put them there .. :)

I really have no idea what you're referring to here.