Re: pkg-config

On Sunday 04 September 2005 7:13 am, Steve Langasek wrote:
> pkg-config and libtool are both tools designed to facilitate portability
> to platforms which have inferior linkers, and in the process they
> duplicate information already provided by ELF libraries on GNU/Linux in
> a manner that makes dependency changes more rigid and fragile.

> http://people.debian.org/~vorlon/dependency-hell/

Nice presentation but I don't see what you would like upstream to do to help.

Once libtool 1.6 is in unstable rather than experimental, then I can use that
- but that won't help that much because the target platform for most of my
code is still FC3 (not my decision). I don't mind making a special case for
GNU/Linux but not if that actually only includes Debian.

--

Neil Williams