Re: pkg-config

On Fri, 2005-09-02 at 20:09 -0700, Steve Langasek wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 03, 2005 at 12:46:31PM +1000, skaller wrote:
> > Does Debian have a policy on use of pkg-config?
>
> > On my Ubuntu systems there are some *.pc files, but the set
> > is not only incomplete .. it isn't closed either.
>
> > Perhaps pkg-config files should be REQUIRED for Debian,
> > and the package names should agree with the Debian ones?
>
> Er... that's certainly not enforceable.

Sure it is. If they're not provided, then lintian fails
the package, and the sponsors refuse to upload it,
same as other policies.

> > Pkgconfig is totally useless unless it is properly supported.
> > It's also not a very good program -- perhaps Debian can come
> > up with something better?
>
> Yes, pkg-config sucks.  Unfortunately, there are a number of upstreams
> (e.g., GNOME) that are unlikely to be willing to make such a switch this
> late in the game.

They don't have to though, the Debian maintainer is responsible
for ensuring the package conforms to the Policy, with patches
if necessary.

--
John Skaller <skaller at users dot sourceforge dot net>