Re: pkg-config

On Sat, Sep 03, 2005 at 11:54:55AM +0100, Neil Williams wrote:
> On Saturday 03 September 2005 6:11 am, Steve Langasek wrote:
> > No, it's not.  The .pc names are set by upstream and we should not
> > diverge from them, and the package names are governed by Debian policy
> > and may not match the names upstream has assigned to the .pc files.

> On that note, I'm upstream and co-maintainer for a library package that is
> being overhauled. The upstream tarball is qof-0.6.0.tar.gz, the SONAME is
> libqof1, the package libqof1 and I want libqof1 >= 0.6.0 as a dependency for
> packages that use the library.

> Currently, the .pc file is qof-1.pc which probably needs to be changed.

> Taking this as an example, what *would* be the recommended name for the pc?

> Should it include the SONAME at all?
> Should it always use the lib prefix?
> Is there any convention on these filenames, independent of any distro?

At the present time and given the current state of the software I
believe it is not in Debian's best interest that you ship a .pc file *at
all* upstream, so I can't offer you any recommendations here.  If there
are any conventions at all, you'll probably have better luck finding out
about them from pkg-config upstream, or from some group such as GNOME or
KDE that packages enough libraries to have come up with guidelines about
them.