Re: RFS: tvbrowser -- TV-Browser is a java-based TV guide

On 8/6/05, Bastian Venthur <expires-2006@venthur.de> wrote:

> Fine, for me that's a good start. I'd like to package tvbrowser as non-free
> at the first run and in the meantime try to convince upstream to substitute
> this non-free-images with free ones in the next version. If they don't want
> to do so, than I'd do this by myself in order to push tvbrowser from
> non-free to contrib. Would this be OK?

Sounds good.

> In the meantime I've found something about the copyrighted files from sun.
> Actually these files are part of the official j2sdk! The contens of
> win/include seems to be just a copy of my /usr/lib/j2sdk1.5-sun/include.
> But I have no idea how to treat this information. Does this mean, that
> these files can be treated like our gifs, or do they block a distribution
> into debian?

In order to distribute any part of Sun's j2sdk you have to agree that
"(iii) you do not distribute additional software intended to replace
any component(s) of the Software". Since Debian distributes and
encourages free replacements such as Kaffe, GCJ and SableVM, no part
of j2sdk can be distributed by the Project at all, even from non-free.

> If these files are showstoppers, then I'll just remove the win-dir (we
> obviously don't need it anyway).

Yep, that's what you'll need to do.

> Kind regards and thanks for your help

No worries. :-)