Re: RFS: tvbrowser -- TV-Browser is a java-based TV guide

Andrew Saunders wrote:

[...]

> But having had a quick peek inside the orig.tar.gz, it looks like
> there's stuff in there that renders it completely undistributable,
> even from non-free. Everything under win/include/ contains:
>
> * Copyright 1997-1999 by Sun Microsystems, Inc.,
>  * 901 San Antonio Road, Palo Alto, California, 94303, U.S.A.
>  * All rights reserved.
>  *
>  * This software is the confidential and proprietary information
>  * of Sun Microsystems, Inc. ("Confidential Information").  You
>  * shall not disclose such Confidential Information and shall use
>  * it only in accordance with the terms of the license agreement
>  * you entered into with Sun.
>
> And all instances of Search16.gif, About16.gif, WebComponent16.gif,
> Edit16.gif, Information24.gif, TipOfTheDay24.gif, Host16.gif,
> Refresh16.gif, Help16.gif, Find16.gif, Stop24.gif, listview24.gif,
> Import24.gif, Stop16.gif, Refresh24.gif, Properties16.gif, New16.gif,
> Export16.gif, listview16.gif, Bookmarks24.gif, New24.gif,
> Import16.gif, PrintPreview16.gif, details16.gif, Back24.gif,
> Print16.gif, Bookmarks16.gif, Forward24.gif, PageSetup16.gif,
> Open16.gif, Down24.gif, Delete16.gif, Down16.gif, down16.gif,
> Preferences24.gif, Print24.gif, Up24.gif, Delete24.gif, Up16.gif,
> up16.gif, Preferences16.gif, Save16.gif, Jar16.gif, Information16.gif,
> Find24.gif, TipOfTheDay16.gif and Edit24.gif contain the string
> "Copyright 2000 by Sun Microsystems, Inc. All Rights Reserved."

Ok, after the first shock, I've investigated the problem and after all the
situation is not that bad:

1) the win-dir can easily be deleted without any problems for us. Upstream
assured to me, that they have taken care that everything in their project
is GPL-compatible. I've asked them about the win-dir and may hopefully get
an answer in the next hours.

2) The gifs are free! Upstream has taken them from

        http://java.sun.com/developer/techDocs/hi/repository/index.html

and as you can see the license (bottom right link):

        http://developers.sun.com/license/berkeley_license.html

is free to.

I hope to get an quick answer from upstream about the win-dir, maybe there
is no need to change the code at all :)

Kind regards

Bastian