Re: Sponsoring of packages

On Tue, Jun 07, 2005 at 09:33:33PM -0400, Jaldhar H. Vyas wrote:
> On Tue, 7 Jun 2005, Martin Mewes wrote:
>
> >I thought it would be a good
> >idea to "sponsor" DDs in this way to keep up the valued work on special
> >things which are of interest for me.
>
> Me too.  However, we don't want to start a dangerous precedent of maintainers
> holding their packages for ransom.  I suggest you first follow the normal RFP
> (Request For Package) procedure and only if that fails go the payment route.
> (If however, you do go down that route, please note that I am available :-)

I don't think that it will set a precedent.  That is like saying DDs
being employed by a company that does any Debian-related or
Linux-related work is setting a bad precedent.  Most DDs work on Debian
in their spare time.  It is just that for the right price they are
willing to spare *more* time.  There is nothing wrong with that.  If you
need something now, you should be prepared to pay for it.  If not, you
sould be prepared to wait.

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sanchez