Re: RFS: Sponsor needed for dav text editor (Closes bug #161106)

On 06/06/05, Ben Finney <ben@benfinney.id.au> wrote:
> On 05-Jun-2005, astronut wrote:
> > The website lists the following reasons to use DAV:
>
> You probably want to rewrite the long description of the package to
> include what you think users will consider to be its features, so that
> prospective users can decide whether they want this package or not.
>
> I'd also suggest that the package name 'dav' has strong connotations
> unrelated to text editors. If I saw a package of that name, I'd expect
> to find a package primarily about the HTTP Distributed Authoring and
> Versioning protocol (WebDAV).

When I was asked on #debian-mentors if I was willing to sponsor (which
I obviously can't), I was about to tell him that there was already a
WebDAV package.

>     <URL:http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2518.txt>
>
> Or more to the point, if I was looking for packages supporting that
> protocol, I'd expect to find a package named 'dav'.
>
> Maybe name the package 'dav-editor'? (alternatively, its presence in
> the "Section: editors" may be enough, and my assumptions on the name
> unfounded.)

I must wonder, exactly what advantages over pico/nano,ee,vi etc are
there?  Debian seems to be getting a lot of text editors that do
exactly the same, the only difference been the way you access some of
the commands.  (of course, i must agree that everyone has a personal
preference).

> --
>  \         "Broken promises don't upset me. I just think, why did they |
>   `\                                      believe me?"  -- Jack Handey |
> Ben Finney <ben@benfinney.id.au>
>

> BodyID:28413067.2.n.logpart (stored separately)

My two cents,
--
N Jones