Re: Question about packaging a library.

Hi,

The library, I'd like to package is FMOD (fmod.org), and it's a "proprietary" library, it's free to use in a non-commercial software.

I had a look into it; since they only seem to provide the library in
binary format, this changes some things significantly: The library
itself can only go in the non-free section of debian, and since
your package depends on it it can only go in the contrib section
of debian. Please read Chapter 4.6.1 of the Debian Developers
Reference.

And i don't think the developers will give me their code to package it. So, i don't really know how to start. For my soft, I ran dh_make which help me a lot.

So maybe, I could do all the necessary things manually,is it a good idea according to you ?

No, its not; I dont know though how the process is when creating
packages for the non-free section. Maybe others can jump in here :-)

I download the package you mentioned, and i will have a look in the afternoon, thanks a lot for your help.

Regards,
Sylvain

Ps: What does ITP means ?

ITP means "Intent To Package" and is meant to notify others
that you will create debian packages for some piece of software.

Regards,

	Andreas

--
Andreas Fester