Re: Question about packaging a library.

Neil Williams wrote:
On Sunday 22 May 2005 1:43 pm, punx120 wrote:

Thanks for you reply.

The library, I'd like to package is FMOD (fmod.org), and it's a
"proprietary" library, it's free to use in a non-commercial software.

Doesn't that make your program non-free in Debian?
Free Redistribution The license of a Debian component may not restrict any party from selling or giving away the software as a component of an aggregate software distribution containing programs from several different sources. The license may not require a royalty or other fee for such sale. Packages must be placed in non-free or non-US/non-free if they are not compliant with the DFSG or are encumbered by patents or other legal issues that make their distribution problematic. So if this was in Debian and Debian is offered for commercial sale (which it is), your library could not be used. If your program depends on this library, your program becomes non-free.

And i don't think the developers will give me their code to package it.

So what licence are you using for your program?

Since it's my first "big" program, I'm not used with license, but i use GPL v2.

Actually, if I want to package this program and this library, it's essentially to know more about packaging, to have a first approach. And maybe, i could take a package which is Orphaned or RFA.

So maybe, I could do all the necessary things manually,is it a good idea
according to you ?

Personally, I don't like anything in non-free and I certainly refuse to depend on such packages. I'd rather re-write the library from scratch. Hey ho.

I agree with you about non-free stuff, but at the time I wrote the program, i need a library like fmod, fmod suited me, so I used it !

(I'd be quite happy for non-free to be completely dropped from Debian but it's there as an option so I can easily ignore it.)

Ps: What does ITP means ?

http://www.uk.debian.org/doc/developers-reference/ch-pkgs.en.html#s-newpackage

Intend To Package. It's the title used in bug reports to WNPP that declare to other developers what you intend to do. You need to check that no-one else is already attempting the task before reporting an ITP which allows others to find out what is being planned for inclusion.
Mine:

http://www.debian.org/doc/maint-guide/ch-first.en.html
If the package is new, and you decide you'd like to see it in Debian, proceed as follows: check if no one else is working on the package already at the list of packages being worked on. http://www.de.debian.org/devel/wnpp/being_packaged