Re: Question about packaging a library.

Thanks for you reply.

The library, I'd like to package is FMOD (fmod.org), and it's a "proprietary" library, it's free to use in a non-commercial software.

And i don't think the developers will give me their code to package it. So, i don't really know how to start. For my soft, I ran dh_make which help me a lot.

So maybe, I could do all the necessary things manually,is it a good idea according to you ?

I download the package you mentioned, and i will have a look in the afternoon, thanks a lot for your help.

Regards,
Sylvain

Ps: What does ITP means ?

Andreas Fester wrote:
Hi,

Probably someone to help you, actually. See if you can get a sponsor for the library (have you done an ITP for the library?), see if there is an existing maintainer who might help you.

I am working on debian packages for log4cxx for some time,
and this is also my first package; learned a lot through it,
so if you have any specific questions do not hesitate to contact
me.

Basically, the descriptions in the New Maintainers Guide should
be enough as a starting point, and you should at least read
the Debian Library Packaging guide you mentioned because it contains
some important information about naming conventions.

You could apt-get source some other simple library to see how other
libraries are built.
You could have a look at my work-in-progress at
http://littletux.homelinux.org/debian/log4cxx. And you could browse
the CVS repository at http://littletux.homelinux.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/
to view the path I was following while working on the package :-)

Once you have the package done, provide it somewhere so
that others can have a look at it.

Best Regards,

    Andreas