Re: debian/rules: Moving to debhelper or cdbs

Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>         I prefer to have these command (usually, mv, cp, gzip, etc)
>  explicitly present, so one does not have to go looking through the
>  library to guess what is being done.

Wow, here it is 2005, a whole 8 years since debhelper was introduced and
Manoj still doesn't know about DH_VERBOSE. :-)

>         make -n -p produces all the debugging information I have ever
>  needed.

>         Hmm. Make has been around since circa '79

Oh well, maybe in another 18 years...?

> 	There are vastly more people who know simple POSIX tools than
>  there are those who know distribution specific tool sets.

This is kind of like arguing that there are more people who know C than
haskell. It may be true, although that may be changing, but that doesn't
mean that haskell's higher level of astraction isn't much more suited for
certian kinds of jobs.

--
see shy jo