Re: debian/rules: Moving to debhelper or cdbs

On Wed, May 18, 2005 at 01:16:02AM -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>         I could, but in charity I shall not, point to cases where the
>  helper packages are used as a crutch, with the developer having no
>  idea what was going on , and copying rules files around, engaging in
>  cargo cult programming.

And the same cargo cult activities can be undertaken for a hand-crafted
rules file.  In fact, when it comes down to it, helper scripts are little
more than well-tested, named chunks of hand-rolled rules script that people
randomly insert into their rules files, close their eyes, and cross their
fingers.  <grin>

- Matt