Re: debian/rules: Moving to debhelper or cdbs

On Tue, 17 May 2005 03:45:28 +0200, Jeroen van Wolffelaar <jeroen@wolffelaar.nl> said:

> On Tue, May 17, 2005 at 11:35:56AM +1000, Ben Finney wrote:
>> I'd like to submit patches for a couple of packages that currently
>> use hand-rolled debian/rules files. Is the current best practise to
>> use debhelper, or cdbs, or something else?

> I don't think there's really consensus on it, but from personal
> experience, I highly favour debhelper for reasons of least surprise:

> - What's going on is mostly clear, it's in fact 'basicly' a library
>   of command snippets

        I prefer to have these command (usually, mv, cp, gzip, etc)
 explicitly present, so one does not have to go looking through the
 library to guess what is being done.

> - No makefile fu, easily debuggeable because there's a clear place
>   to put extra code at each step, and because of DH_VERBOSE. Flow of
>   control is easy when not having expert makefile fu in
>   debian/rules, and most people are no makefile experts

        make -n -p produces all the debugging information I have ever
 needed. And, as a software developer, I do consider make an important
 part of my tool set, even before Debian (ofr linux) existed, and used
 often even outside Debian's context.

> - No need to migrate away from cdbs at any time you need to do
>   something complicated not catered for in cdbs (in cdbs you require
>   to have hooks available for what you want, rather than that being
>   automatically available)

       I also don't need to worry about how to make any helper
 commands like dh_please_install_my_man_pages_pretty_please  do what I
 want done -- cp is pretty easy to figure out.

> - Does not encourage evil things like build-time rewriting of
>   debian/control

        Plain ol' simple rules file do not need such bletcherousness
 either.

> - Much more mature, cdbs is still in high flux, and iirc a rewrite
>   (cdbs2) is planned or underway

        Hmm. Make has been around since circa '79, cp, mv, are even
 older, and I am not sure about install, but I am pretty sure it is
 more "mature" than Linux, if age is a sign of maturity.

> - And last but not least, debhelper is used in much more packages
>   than cdbs, and greater familiarity exists amongst DD's and other
>   maintainers

	There are vastly more people who know simple POSIX tools than
 there are those who know distribution specific tool sets.

> This is my personal opinion, but real bugs are backed by this, like
> the most recent one I encountered: #309367

        I could, but in charity I shall not, point to cases where the
 helper packages are used as a crutch, with the developer having no
 idea what was going on , and copying rules files around, engaging in
 cargo cult programming.

        It all comes down to what the maintainer prefers, and how they
 want to put their packages together.

        manoj
--
UFOs are for real: the Air Force doesn't exist.