Re: cannot make (my first) debian package

On Sun, 08 May 2005 13:17:32 +0200
Bas Wijnen <shevek@fmf.nl> wrote:

> Ricardo Mones wrote:
> > On Thu, 05 May 2005 10:23:19 -0400
> > "Brenda J. Butler" <bjb@istop.com> wrote:
> >
> >   Anyway your case is clearly different, your source is a kpr file
> > not a pdf one.
> >

> >>If not, then how should I proceed?  I can put the .kpr, .ps and .pdf
> >>in the package... I could place the .kpr, .ps and .pdf
> >>in /usr/share/doc/myslides... does that sound reasonable?  Do you
> >>have a better suggestion?
> >

> >   It sounds pretty reasonable to me, maybe adding a note to the
> > README.Debian saying the kpr is the original source and kpresenter
> > package is required to modify it, for example.
>
> The source should of course be in the source package, but I don't see
> why it needs to be in the .deb.  Other packages don't include their
> sources in /usr/share/doc...  Why would it make sense to do that for
> this one?

  Basically saving bandwidth. Given you cannot process the kpr source
without human intervention, she will have to put also the ps and pdf
files in the source package. The size of the kpr is also negligible
compared with these two.
  If you don't put the kpr in the binary package any user wanting the
source will need to download again all the source with ps/ pdf data
(already on the disk) just for getting the small kpr.
  I'm sure somebody with a T1 pipe won't mind download, 1 Mb (for
example) source package for getting a 50 Kb kpr file. A modem user
won't think the same, neither should the server admin, specially if
is paying for bandwidth ;)
--
  Ricardo Mones Lastra - mones@aic.uniovi.es
  Centro de Inteligencia Artificial, Universidad de Oviedo en Gijon