cannot make (my first) debian package

Hello debian superusers,
I have written an advanced debian tutorial and decided to try to build a
debian package from it. I used the pdf format as source and, after reading
the maintainer stuff, tried to build the package thinking it would be easy
since there are no dependencies.
Unfortunately I proved to be wrong and could not build the package. Here is
what I did:
1. I put the the tar.gz compressed pdf file in a "source directory"
2. As root I entered such directory and typed:
# dh_make -e robert@linux.it -f debianadv-0.0.20050317.tar.gz

Type of package: single binary, multiple binary, library, or kernel module?
 [s/m/l/k] s

Maintainer name : Mauro Darida
Email-Address   : robert@linux.it
Date            : Tue,  3 May 2005 19:58:23 +0200
Package Name    : debianadv
Version         : 0.0.20050317
Type of Package : Single
Hit <enter> to confirm:
Currently there is no top level Makefile. This may require additional tuning.
Done. Please edit the files in the debian/ subdirectory now. You should also
check that the debianadv Makefiles install into $DESTDIR and not in / .
3. In the debian/ subdir I changed DESTDIR=/usr/share/doc/debianadv in file
"rules" and
in the same file commented out all binary-arch commands. I did not use
any .ex files. Then typed:
# dpkg-buildpackage
dpkg-buildpackage: source package is debianadv
dpkg-buildpackage: source version is 0.0.20050317-1
dpkg-buildpackage: source maintainer is Mauro Darida <robert@linux.it>
dpkg-buildpackage: host architecture is i386
 debian/rules clean
dh_testdir
dh_testroot
rm -f build-stamp configure-stamp
# Add here commands to clean up after the build process.
/usr/bin/make clean
make[1]: Entering directory
`/home/mario/doc/Progetto_debianadvanced/debianadv-0.0.20050317'
make[1]: *** No rule to make target `clean'.  Stop.
make[1]: Leaving directory
`/home/mario/doc/Progetto_debianadvanced/debianadv-0.0.20050317'
make: [clean] Error 2 (ignored)
dh_clean
 dpkg-source -b debianadv-0.0.20050317
dpkg-source: building debianadv using existing
debianadv_0.0.20050317.orig.tar.gz
dpkg-source: building debianadv in debianadv_0.0.20050317-1.diff.gz
dpkg-source: cannot represent change to debianadv-0.0.20050317.tar.gz: binary
file contents changed
dpkg-source: building debianadv in debianadv_0.0.20050317-1.dsc
dpkg-source: unrepresentable changes to source

I cannot proceed form here. I think that probably the problem is that I do not
have a source code but just a pdf document. All the documentation I read
was always talking about "source" file and thought it was ok for a pdf file
also, but I suspect I am wrong.
So, what is the procedure for building a package for a pdf doc? Did I miss
something in the maintainer documentation? Or maybe I am just too bold and
ignorant and have to give up?
--
On this laptop no Windows system survives and LINUX POWER reigns UNLIMITED.
Successfully Microsoft free since December 2002.