Re: How-do-I make a non-native Debian package?

William Ballard <nospam_50115@alltel.net> wrote:

> I wrote my own app and it is debianized already, the way
> mplayer already is.  But I mistakenly made it a "native" Debian
> package when it is really a tarball and/or a debian package.
>
> There will *never* be a "diff" between "debian" and "upstream"
> (I wrote it.)

This is only true when it is a package specifically made _for_ Debian,
like debconf or debian-policy. If it is just some application that you
wrote and use on Debian, but others might use it on Fedora or whatever,
then it will not always be true. Imagine you did a mistake in
packaging. With a Debian native package, you would have to release a new
version just to fix that Debian bug, and your Fedora or BSD users would
be puzzled what that new version number means.

But from your subject I assume you already want that. Well, usually you
just have to rename your tarball to <name>_<version>.orig.tar.gz, and
be done.

> And as a related question, I don't wish to become a Debian Developer,
> but this app is at least as good as some of the things in the archive.
> I suppose I need a "sponsor."  This is a simple GTK app.
> What is the protocol for asking, and would anybody be willing to upload
> it for me (once we take a good close look at it.)

Just drop a mail indicating a download site for the source package -
drop it here, or drop it anywhere you expect interested Debian
Developers to read it. Ah, and yes: Of course you should read

http://people.debian.org/~mpalmer/debian-mentors_FAQ.html

Which would have answered this question, too.

> This app has already been on Freshmeat/Sourceforge for a year:
> http://freshmeat.net/projects/tupim
> (new release 1.5 will be on freshmeat tomorrow)
> http://projects.sf.net/pim-tb
> (1.5 version already up there)

Your brother Tom has already submitted a WNPP bug for this:

http://bugs.debian.org/239523

Regards, Frank
--
Frank Küster