Re: How-do-I make a non-native Debian package?

Kees Leune <cjleune@gmail.com> schrieb:

> On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 22:59:29 -0500, William Ballard
> <nospam_50115@alltel.net> wrote:
>> On Tue, Feb 15, 2005 at 01:23:06AM -0300, Lucas Wall wrote:
>> > - make dist
>> > - copy the tar.gz to a temp dir with the appropiate .orig Debian name.
>> > - unpack the tar.gz and copy the debian dir into it.
>> > - let dpkg-buildpackage (or similar) compile and generate the diff file,
>> > etc.
>>
>> Well, that's a bit of magic.  If you are in a directory foo-x.y, and run
>> dpkg-buildpackage, it makes a "native" package.  If you simply have a
>> foo-x.y.orig sibling directory, it makes a "non-native" package (and
>> concidentally removes the .orig directory).  That's wierd.
>
> I generally do it a little different. Say my upstream has a new
> package out which is called foo-1.0.tar.gz. I generally copy it to the
> file foo_1.0.orig.tar.gz and then untar it. Make sure it untars in a
> directly that follows the packagename-version convention(e.g.
> foo-1.0).

That is not even necessary. If the files from foo-1.2.3.tar.gz unpack
into foo/ (or foo-1.2-3-is-great/), it is sufficient to rename the
tarball to foo_1.2.3.orig.tar.gz, and your working directory (with the
debian stuff) to foo-1.2.3/. When you run dpkg-buildpackage, it will
call dpkg-source -b to generate the diff.gz, and this command will do
the following:

- create a temporary directory $tmpdir and unpack foo_1.2.3.orig.tar.gz
  in $tmpdir

- check whether this resulted in more than one file in $tmpdir (which
  wouldn't be the case in this example); if yes, rename $tmpdir to
  foo-1.2.3.orig/

- rename $tmpdir/foo/ to $tmpdir/foo-1.2.3.orig

- run "diff -Nur $tmpdir/foo-1.2.3.orig foo-1.2.3" (or
  diff -Nur foo-1.2.3.orig foo-1.2.3" in the hypothetical case)

> Also, make sure
> that your debian/changelog contains a version number like 1.0-1,
> rather than just 1.0. The version number represents upstream version
> 1.0, Debian package version 1.

Does the non-existence of a Debian revision result in native packaging?
I thought it just results in a lintian/linda complain and a bug report?

Regards, Frank
--
Frank Küster
Inst. f. Biochemie der Univ. Zürich