Re: package hardware requirements

Rudy Godoy <rudy@kernel-panik.org> writes:

> Hi,
> 	 I'm the maintainer for torcs, an OpenGL racing game. Since it has
> 	 some quite higher hardware requirements I'm looking for advice on
> 	 building it for all arches, since probably on some of them will
> 	 never be able to play, even run it. Thus the archive overload with
> 	 "useless" packages. Although upstream says it works on x86 and
> 	 ppc, but it has been built sucessfully in almost all arches in the
> 	 buildds.

Only arch to exclude I can think of right away is m68k. i386, amd64,
ppc, mips, mipsel, alpha, ... should all be able to run it with a high
powered enough system. So all you save is one package of 2MB for m68k.

But excluding archs because a package is potentialy useless on the
arch isn't common practice. There are programs like axiom which no
sane person would ever use on m68k but it is still being build for it
(takes something like 200 hours too). There might be some insane
person around wanting it.

On the other hand, if you get reports that torcs just doesn't work on
some archs (64bit unclean, endian issues, ...) and have no
intention/capabilities/plans to fix that then limiting the package to
specific (known to work) archs is a possibility. But a sad one.

MfG
        Goswin